1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Picked up some rear lapbelts at O'Relieys to put in my Trabbi. Mainly to hold my daughter's car seat in place if case we want to make it a family day in the Trabbi. There is a threaded hole for a shoulder belt covered up with a clear plastic cover but I am not seeing any pre-drilled threaded holes in the floor.

Am I not looking hard enough? Or do I need to drill my own?
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

There are no holes in my kombi (dont know about sedans) And if you drill holes you have to make some reinforcements around them similar to the piece that is on the underside betveen the front seats, or they wont do much good. If there is some framework there, that should do fine also. :)
    Just make sure it is rock solid. ;)
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Wartburgs had threaded reinforced holes in the floor for accessory rear seat belts starting in the mid 70s. If your Trabi is from the 80s I bet there are holes there somewhere. Can you look from the underside of your car?
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I do in two Trabants. One is factory. The other is a GM belt attached in the floor of the trunk to center of the rear seat.
  5. turbofiat124

What year is the one with factory belts? I can't understand why they added threaded hole in roof piller for the shoulder belt but not any holes in the floor. I shined a flash light up under the rear seat and couldn't find any. I can always drill some. I just need a helper to get under the car with a socket like I did with the front latches.
  6. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

You can find the installation instructions of the Doblina lap belts (after sale market in the early nineties, original supplier) under http://trabantclub.ch/PDF/Doblina_Beckengurte_Trabant.pdf

The reinforcement plate has the dimensions of the drawing attached.

The thread for the shoulder belt is not installed in all Trabants. If you don't have a thread there, you can drill it and fix the nut with a solid and big washer. All necessary information can be found here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.trabantforum.de/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005342.html&act=url

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

He just needs somebody who has found the predrilled holes in their rear floor to take a picture and post it. I tried checking around the German trabant forums but the subject is buried deep in legal arguments about what is required and what is not required for TUeV inspections, so it's tough searching.
  8. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

As much as I know, no Trabant (except for the model 1.1) ever had any pre drilled holes in the floor. Just some few export models for the CSSR... (--> Refer to SRI 485 for more [German] information. It's written that it was possible that some cars were delivered with shoulder-belt holes in the GDR.).
  9. turbofiat124

I was just informed that the threaded hole in the roof pillar was to secure a latch for the optional rear popout windows and it was not strong enough to support a bolt for a shoulder belt in case of an accident.
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is cool that someone shared that. I don't have a push-out vent window Trabant and have no idea, having never paid attention to them, how they work. It is interesting though. Did they share any pictures or other information?
  11. turbofiat124

I was talking to John on the phone earlier. He read my post about the rear seat belts. He told me another idea was to mount the belts to the bar that runs between the rear shock towers.

The seatbelts I have are about 100" long. They are not are sewed together at the end in a loop but rather use a buckle of some sort you have to loop between it and the floor mount. Sort of hard to describe. Not a very good design but I guess it would work.

But I came up with a better idea I once used on a go kart.

Wrap the end of the each belt around the bar and tie it into a knot. I'm going to do that.

Also he said it wasn't a good idea how I have the lapbelt anchor secured to the hole on the side the seats which I agree. That will require drilling a hole in the floor and using the L bracket and reinforcement washer underneath the car that I came with the kit I ordered with the front belts.
  12. czechnology

czechnology Smoking Along

My Trabant is from 1989 and it had notning predrilled or threaded. So I did it on my own. Pictures will tell more...

1357503004.JPG
    1357503004.JPG
    1357503587.JPG
    1357503616.JPG
    1357503898.JPG
    1357503931.JPG
    turbofiat124 and trabant601 like this.
  13. turbofiat124

Thanks for the pics! I just have lap belts in mine. I wrapped the ends of each belt around the bar that goes to each shock tower in the trunk and tied them in a knot. Probably not "legal" but I don't think they will come loose in an accident.
  14. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen Newbie

Any ideas where to mount the other end of seat belts? Properly. The end that is not showing on czechnology's photos.
    I have to fit rear seat belts in Finland, but I think they don't have to be retractable so I installed retractable belts to front and moving the original 3-point belts to rear.
  15. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

@Bugenhagen

Check the PDF @phi posted, it includes exact specifications of where to drill depending on your car's type. I think the difference is just between cars with leaf vs coil suspension.

I've been interested in putting rear seatbelts in my car for a while, and I have Doblina retrofit kit, but according to local laws all outboard seats need to be lap sash belts, so I can't use them (without modification and putting a 3rd mounting point) so I am very interested to hear what peoples results are like if they retro fit a 3rd mounting point.

Regarding factory mounts, here is a czech car with factory mounts, They don't appear to match the retrofit kit. two big holes near the centre with plugs in them

[​IMG]

The piece circled in the next picture at the base of the shock tower is added for the outboard mounting points

[​IMG]

picture of the factory 3rd mounting point with its dust cap on. Full set: http://www.trabant.cz/clanky/monografie/dobre-utajeny-unikat
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  16. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen Newbie

Thank you!
    I have to drill the holes for the locks as close to back seat as possible so the locks reach far enough. 65mm might be a bit far.
    The holes on the c-pillar I have already done.

What kind is the Doblina retrofit kit?
  17. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

The Doblina is a lap belt kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@Andrew , Is that kit (Doblina) just a bolt on lap belt? Or does it require drilling for new bolt holes?
  19. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen Newbie

It needs the holes on third photo. It's the pdf phi linked.
    Andrew likes this.
  20. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Got it. Sorry I missed that earlier.