1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Got myself a speeding ticket in the trabi... :D

The use mobile speed cameras on a tripod, and hides the van in the woods. i was in a row of about 5 cars doing 75 in a 80 km/h zone. road widened out two to lanes, so i passed the others with 89 km/h, and FLASH! That damn red flash from the roadside... 1000 kroner (134 euro) less to spend on the trabi, but got to work about 10 seconds faster... :confused:
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

That's interesting the radar they use where you are actually emits a visible beam of light? I wonder why.
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I think the flash was from the camera unit. I hate those things.
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

They use a invisible laser beam to measure the speed when you are about 80 meters away, and when you are 20 meters away the camera takes a picture with a red flash. that way you wont be able to slow down before it is too late...
    A few weeks later you get a email telling you to pay. :)
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Well done, I managed to bag a pair a few months ago for doing 64 in a 50. Well, I say 50, the stretch I was on was a 60kmh zone, so I'm waiting for my day in court...
  6. Wartburg353W

Nope never heard of it. Guess I'm just lucky. I wonder whether I could claim ignorance based on my speedometer being in kilometers?
  7. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Probably could here in the States...we don't have many set up's like that....Plus I think the police in the US would be more enthralled at trying to figure out what it is.
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

Congratulations?

The problem with getting speeding tickets in a Trabant is that no one in the world will believe you!

Keeping up with traffic around Chicago puts us at constant risk of speeding tickets, as almost all traffic does 110-120km/h in 90km/h speed zones on the highway, and generally 10-15km/h over the limit everywhere else....

Try driving the speed limit and people get insanely angry and start driving very, very badly.

So far as claiming ignorance, that never, ever works. It's the responsibility of the driver to obey the law. If you try blaming your instruments, you could possible get another ticket for having an unsafe car!

It's best to tell the officer that you were paying attention to the road and lost track of your speed.
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  9. Wartburg353W

You're right Keri, it would be my fault for not having a proper mph speedometer. So I'd end up with a speeding ticket AND a citation for an unsafe vehicle. Once many years ago I worked in a prosecutor's office and a guy came in with a speeding ticket he had gotten in a '67 Corvette. He blamed an inaccurate speedometer, which is a tired old excuse that doesn't usually wash, but he brought in the old gauge and a receipt and said he had had his speedometer replaced after he got the ticket and it was now accurate. I know he was technically still speeding whether or not his speedo was accurate, but I felt he deserved a break from the ticket after paying a couple hundred dollars to have his car worked on.